Sunday, December 27, 2009

Ace Up My Sleeve (Huben 10)


22 E Re 4, NearWhite Self, Dor Dip
Sunshine On Clouds * Early And Often
Seedling: MH0067D

I knew from the first rebloom that this northern continuous rebloomer would be an introduction. It was my first near-white continuous rebloomer. Then I knew that I would never introduce it, because it increased extremely slowly in my yard. After three years, I had three fans. I sent one to Mike Derrow, and it increased like crazy under his more southern care, enough that I can now introduce it anyhow.

And this is one that you want if you breed rebloomers. It throws great kids: all of my near-white rebloomers are kids of Ace Up My Sleeve. It can throw size, wide petals, whiteness, green throats, and rapid increase. It only has 9 buds per scape, but routinely throws three sets of scapes for me with the bonus that all the sets of scapes are the same height. And it is very fertile, setting big pods with lots of seed. In its own right, Ace Up My Sleeve is quite pretty. It blooms about 2 weeks after Stella De Oro.

This is not a plant for gardens as miserable as mine, unless you need it for breeding. In gardens with better conditions, it should be quite good. For breeding, it is one of a kind.

No comments: